- 285 million people are visually impaired worldwide: 39 million are blind and 246 million have low vision.
- of those an estimated 19 million children under age 15 are visually impaired.
- About 90% of the world's visually impaired live in developing countries.
- Poverty is both a cause and a consequence of blindness. Poverty and blindness reinforce each other, contributing to increased vulnerability, exclusion and total dependence on others.
World Blind Union & World Health Organization
- Global Cane Outreach is a faith based non-profit organization dedicated to spreading God's love to the blind and illiterate in other countries through the giving of white canes and audio bibles. We are based in Scotts Valley, California and made up entirely of volunteers.
- Our services are financed entirely by the generosity of our donors.
- We were founded by Beverly Crook in 2010 and now have canes and bibles in Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Peru, Bolivia, Philippines, South Africa, Ghana, Liberia, Ethiopia and Pakistan.
- We also provide a rudimentary mobility training, along with the canes and bibles, to any Christian organization that may be traveling overseas and want to reach out to the blind. Please contact us if this is you.